REALITY SPORTS COACHES – FRAME OF REF
Biblical coaching – our take on it
1) not the way, a way (humility)
2) the best way we know – what we believe
* ASKED TO COME – WELCOME TO AGREE TO DISAGREE, BUT NOT BE DISAGREEABLE
What is coaching biblically?
COACHING BIBLICALLY IS COMPETING:
• By the Power of God
• According to the Word of God
• For the Glory of God
FOUNDATION OF COACHING BIBLICALLY – Jesus Christ and the Word of God
Colossians 3:17 – Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the Name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (HIS NAME HIS GLORY)
Colossians 3:23-24 – Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Ecclesiastes 9:10 – Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.
· WANT ONE SIMPLE THING – EVERY LAST DROP OF YOUR BLOOD
· HIGH EXPECTATIONS – KIND AND LOVING (QUITE A TRICK TO PULL OFF)
Fulcrum of a biblical coach (real deal vs “wannabe”)
1) how you treat the scoreboard (smokes out heart)
is it about god’s glory or your glory?
Is it about god winning or you winning?
Is it about his will or your will?
2) how they treat the opponent
they come to “beat” us, we come to “be” us
love your enemies pray for those persecute
why strife – don’t get your way (james 4)
LIE OF DEVIL – HAVE TO WIN TO HAVE PLATFORM
not winning – testimony is the process
(how play and respond to result)
* Bethel vs wheaton
REAITY SPORTS COACHING EXPECTATIONS
1) excellence in instruction – competence (briner)
2) sufficiency and authority of scripture AND gospel centrality
a) look at sport through biblical filter – not culture filter
b) what does god say about …. (enemies, blessing)
3) application – what that looks like on the grass? What does it look like between the lines?
a) radical – look like dropped off from another planet
b) if the fans and opponents can’t tell the difference, odds are not happening
c) abrahamic blessing – blessed to be a blessing
1The LORD had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.
d) sport as a life education – (know one better?)
– long term impact –
great husbands, fathers, friends and workers
– have a good season? Won’t know for 20-30 yrs
– won’t know till see if wives and children come back and say thank you
4) discipleship – definition (follower –act of following)
· create reproduceable and sustainable model of coaching and playing
· PLU and around the country – one by one program and coach
· Multiplication table
a) glorify god
b) eternal impact
c) develop leaders –coaches/players
d) transform the lives of men/women, boys/girls
e) transform world of sport
5) service – god came to serve not be served (matt 20:28)
REVIEW- IMPLEMENTATION OF COACHING BIBLICALLY
a) Creating vision in players toward the expansion of the Kingdom of God (World Missions)
b) Developing Discipleship /Evangelism paradigms for players within the football context
c) Teaching players how to become great husbands, fathers, friends and workers
e) Educating players in the “how to” of being Godly Men, both on and off the field
FINAL RANDOM THOUGHTS
1) winning too small a goal – embarrassing how selfish, opposite of god glorifying and near sighted –
WORLD IMPACT FOR ETERNITY (if handled correctly)
2) WORSHIP OF WINNING IS IDOLATRY – worship of self
FINAL SHEET random thoughts
Q and A